Favorite authors and illustrators.

Sunday, August 9, 2020

Awhile ago on the Read-Aloud Revival podcast, Sarah MacKenzie had a lovely episode about Barbara Cooney. In the introduction, she discussed how anytime you see Barbara Cooney on a cover of a book, whether you be at a book sale or garage sale or thrift store, grab that book! I began wondering what other authors/illustrators elicit the same response from me and started this list. I've had this post in my drafts for MONTHS because I kept adding to it. I could probably add more but then this post would never end! I'm sure you know lots of these, but maybe you'll find some new ones. 


Barbara Cooney
Barbara Cooney...of course! My favorite is not pictured here because it is buried in my Christmas book box... The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree. 


Lynne Cherry
We love Lynne Cherry's books about the environment and her beautiful and intricate illustrations! 


Linda Glaser
Linda Glaser is close to my heart! She was actually my parent educator at ECFE, a preschool program in Minnesota before I realized she is also a prolific children's book author. She has many books about nature but my favorite is Emma's Poem.


Ruth Heller
Ruth Heller has been a classic for decades. Take a peek inside and the reason is obvious.


Wendy Pfeffer
We need more Wendy Pfeffer in our lives. We Gather Together has a companion for each season and discusses seasonal traditions around the world and throughout time.


Gail Gibbons
Gail Gibbons has very kid-friendly explanatory illustrations.


Jessie Hartland
 Jessie Hartland. We've had How the Dinosaur Got to the Museum for years until I realized there were more! They are just a great and the kids LOVE them. 


Jim LaMarche
I was obsessed with The Rainbabies as a child so I was delighted to find more books illustrated (and written!) by Jim LaMarche. They are breathtaking and often requested at our house. 


Virginia Lee Burton
Virginia Lee Burton was a mother of sons and it shows! Our boys are big fans. I loved the biography we read about her as well, Big Machines.



Kevin Henkes
In 2019, Kevin Henkes won the Children's Literature Legacy Award and no wonder! His stories demonstrate that he truly understands children. Each one is so perfect. I grew up reading Weekend with Wendell and Owen.


Brad Metzler and Christopher Eliopoulos
We are BIG fans of the Ordinary People Change the World the series from Brad Meltzer and Christopher Eliopoulos. They really engage our kids and inspire them to make good choices now. And have also inspired lots of study into flying, social justice, astrophysics and more. The corresponding PBS series, Xavier Riddle and the Secret Museum is also fantastic. They go back in time to meet the different historical figures. 


Betsy Bowen
Betsy Bowen is a northern Minnesota treasure! Her woodcut illustrations are so intricate and depict northern life perfectly. 

Patricia Polacco
Patricia Polacco has been a favorite of mine since my mother read The Triple Dam Creek Dam Affair to us as kids. She has so many great ones, too many to photograph! However, I think Babushka Baba Yaga is my favorite.

Jan Brett
Jan Brett is definitely a favorite too. I remember inspecting her delicate details in The Wild Christmas Reindeer as child. Now I do the same with my kids Hedgie's Surprise. I think Mossy is my favorite. We have lots of her holiday books too.

Kobi Yamada and Mae Besom

My sister sent us this series of books and they quickly became favorites. The kids, especially Colden, request them frequently. The illustrations are mesmerizing and the messages empowering. Sometimes we think kids can't comprehend big ideas like this, but they totally can.



Eliza Wheeler
 

Eliza Wheeler is a GIFT. Her imaginative perspective on the seasons in Miss Maple's Seeds is extraordinary. Home in the Woods is pretty new and an absolute treasure. Go grab it!


Quick list for thrifting or the library:
Barbara Cooney
Lynne Cherry
Linda Glaser
Ruth Heller
Wendy Pfeffer
Gail Gibbons
Jessie Hartland
Jim LeMarche
Virginia Lee Burton
Kevin Henkes
Brad Metzler and Christopher Eliopoulos
Betsy Bowen
Patricia Polacco
Jan Brett
Kobi Yamada and Mae Besom
Eliza Wheeler

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lacey Parr All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger