What I'm Reading: Homeschool Edition #2

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

A couple years ago, I wrote about and listed my favorite home education resources
It's time for an update! Consider the following list an addition, rather than a replacement to, my previous list. So be sure to visit that post too!

Books
Balanced and Barefoot
Brave Learner
The Read-Aloud Family
The Call of the Wild + Free

Podcasts
Wild+Free continues to be a wonderful and encouraging resource. My advice: Listen to their free podcast on whatever platform you listen on. Then sign up for a couple months of their subscription so you can get access to all their conference talks. Listen and take notes and then end the subscription if want to. Their printed and digital resources are awesome and well-made, but I didn't use them as much as they deserved. But the talks, y'all, the talks. I've said it before: it was like having a room full of veteran homeschool moms encouraging and instructing me in my kitchen every night as I cleaned up and listened. GOLD MINE.

Brave Writer. Julie Bogart is a WEALTH of support and information. She is a veteran homeschool mom and runs the Brave Writer curriculum and wrote the Brave Learner. She has a podcast, a blog and lots of other resources. She has been an especially steady guide as pandemic-schooling started.

Homeschool Sisters. Okay I honestly haven't listened to this in awhile but every time I turn it on, I come away with some great nuggets. 

Other resources
TGTB Language Arts
Story of the World. We have the books and the audio. I'm keeping the books for now but all we have used so far is the audio. And we love it.
Jesus Storybook Bible. This is what we have been listening to the most lately, the actor is amazing.
Julie's Library The real life Julie Andrews reading children's books. It's about as dreamy as you can imagine. Utter perfection.
This is our morning time list, we definitely don't do each of those everyday, but it's a good guide. The on the hour routine is a great idea...but like many of my great ideas and plans, we haven't been very consistent with it.

What's working for us now
I want to catalog what is working for us right now and it is all said with the greatest humility. The longer I am a parent and the more we homeschool, the more opportunities I have to temper my pride. I try to stay flexible and allow for changes as we go. But for now, we are "doing school" year-round. This allows us to do short amounts 4x/week and take a few weeks off whenever we need (about every quarter). Now, the *ideal* is that we sit down and do morning time, language arts and math for the two older boys (8 and 6) 4x each week. It's more like 2x week right now in this beautiful summertime. Rich is 4 and likes to sit with us and draw or trace letters. I sit with her a few times a week, at her request, to identify letters. Calder, who is 1, does all he can to destroy any attempts at structured learning. We get what we can done during his naps and when Nate can help midweek. 

Morning time is when we gather around the table and the kids do a handwriting page while I read from scripture, a nature book, a poem or two and anything else we want to read/talk about. I try to do this first thing after breakfast, getting ready and morning chores. It's been harder with Calder lately so I've got to do some thinking and working about how to adjust my expectations and how it could look/be different and still have this special time together. 

This idea web was fun to make and I like referring to it when we need a re-vamp. I made a list of all the things that our family has decided is important in the whole life education of our children for this season of life and then listed all the ways we can access those categories.

Our school time is usually in several 20-30 minute chunks between 9 and 12. And ideally, they have the rest of the day for play.

We like to listen to podcasts and books in the car for history, literature, devotion, geography, science and just plain enjoyment. Their (and my) favorites are Story of the World, Jesus Storybook Bible, Julie's Library (podcast), and Brains On (all linked above). 


We meet weekly with our nature group (took a break during the shut-down of course) outside for friend and nature time. This leads to lots of great discussions about wildlife, plants, photosynthesis, climate, stewardship, being kind, helping others and lots, lots more. 

I'm feeling a need to add some more science and some math practice so I would love to hear your suggestions. Especially if they are child-led and (mostly) independent of my help.

Literature is a big part of our lives as well and we are always working through a chapter-length read-aloud at bedtime. We have been doing library pick up (can we keep this always please?!) and getting lots and lots of good stuff. I try to use this guide when we are selecting books:
Some books we have read and loved lately:
The Little House Series (with some editing on my part and discussions about racism). Farmer Boy was the favorite.
The Littlest Voyaguer--Highly recommend! 
The Door in the Wall--Initiated some fun study of castle construction. 
A-Z Mysteries: The Deadly Dungeon

Educational Philosophy
I was fortunate early-on in this journey to gain vital perspective from veteran homeschool mothers about not only HOW to homeschool but also the importance of creating my own education philosophy. Because you can buy a big, expensive boxed curriculum with everything you will need, but it won't do the teaching and leading for you. I have to remember my WHY or the motivation will get lost in the daily needs of a family of 6. There are a bazillion resources out there. Creating (and constantly adding or taking away from) my own educational philosophy allows me to sift through the piles of resources and opinions and find what our family needs. 



I see childhood as a short, short time that they will not get back. I view it as the time to help them hold onto their love of learning. It is the time to play, to run, to stretch and grow their muscles and learn balance and coordination. It is the time to learn to work well with others. It is the time to pause and go slowly. I so desperately want to protect this sacred time for them. They have everything internally they need to learn and grow. I am only offering resources, tools and LOTS of guidance and little pushes.  After school is done by 12 or 1, they have the rest of their day to build Legos, play outside, push their littler brother on the swing, go boating with Nate, swim with friends, bake with me, go on walks and stare lazily at the sky. 

Academic rigor will come in time, now we are laying the foundations of a life rich in: the stories of those brave and kind; wind, water and tall trees; experiences in community and strong relationships.

Every homeschool is as different as each family is different. Maybe this can give you an idea of what one homeschool looks like. Reach if you have any questions, I am an open book!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lacey Parr All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger