Comparisons

Thursday, December 13, 2012

You hear all about it during Relief Society. How we as women are often inclined to compare our lives to someone else's. How it can make you feel like you are less than what you truly are.

And I always nodded my head and thought, "yes. that is so true. 'comparison is the thief of joy.'" I then promptly forgot about the lesson. I've always been a positively-positive person and I haven't felt much need to compare my life to someone else's.

Until I became a mom.

And then suddenly every other mom has it all together and I don't. Every other mom can get their baby to sit quietly and even sleep (!!) during church. Every other mom seems to have this special way of communicating with their baby. And I'm sitting here wildly guessing at what it is at this moment my baby needs. And then he spits up on himself, my sweater, my dress and the floor. Have you ever had a moment like that?

When you think, "really? this is not what i thought it was like. and how come her baby is sleeping like an angel right now? while i'm shuffling and swaying in the back of the room smelling like barf?"

And suddenly all those lessons about comparisons came roaring back to life. I'm so glad they did. Because I don't want to be ungrateful for a single second at this marvelous and God-given responsibility that we call Bridger. Because I am doing my best. And I truly love being his mother. I wouldn't trade it if I could.

1 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. This is something that we all struggle with. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Lacey Parr All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger