Book Reviews: An update

Thursday, October 18, 2012

What I've been reading lately:

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Achingly sad and yet triumphant. At times while reading this you think the human race has gone to the pits, but in the end you know it is exactly the opposite. Although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
This is a good one to make you feel smarter. Like do you know why manhole covers are round? I didn't until I read this book. It's because any other shape could fall through the whole. A good thinker.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
If you liked Food Inc., you will appreciate this. She and her family decide to eat only what they can produce in their garden or buy locally (ie, made locally) for a whole year. Long story short, they succeed. And I am all the more ready to start my own garden next summer and each year buy fewer and fewer groceries. I love the idea of living off of your own land. It's romantic, I know. But also possible and enjoyable, as you will find out in this book.

And because I saw Lois Lowry speak at the Provo Library:

The Giver
Her books are written for middle schoolers, but the lessons and stories are applicable to so many. I kept seeing parallels to the Atonement in this one.

Gathering Blue
I felt like the ending was a little abrupt, but it's an interesting story.

Number the Stars
I think this is one I will tell to Bridger at bedtime as he gets older. Such a great story of bravery and love.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lacey Parr All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger