On my nightstand

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Source: blog.hgtv.com via Lacey on Pinterest

I usually like to write little book reviews about what I've read lately. However, I have gotten behind. So here is a quick re-cap of what I've enjoyed reading lately:

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.
This came as a result of a recommendation from my husband. It is a personal recount of the Mt. Everest tragedy that happened in '96. The author did some major research after the disaster to gain the most truthful depiction, which I applaud him for. Despite it being a "manly" topic, I really enjoyed it. It is shocking and factual. He writes to non-climbers which makes the technical portions more understandable. I recommend it. Also by Jon Krakauer is Into the Wild, which I read last summer.

Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child by John Gottman.
This was actually a required text for one of my classes last year. Several of my professors have recommended it. John Gottman is one of the foremost researchers and experts in child and family life of our generation. He knows his stuff. Basically it teaches the importance of teaching your children empathy and how to express their emotions effectively. It's one you don't have to read cover to cover. Just learn the 5 steps of emotion coaching and then read the chapter on application. I definitely recommend this to any parent or future parent.

Covenant Hearts by Bruce C. Hafen.
My mom recommended this to me when Nate and I got engaged. Several professors (family life and religion) have also recommended it to their students. I like to flip through and start at a random chapter each time I pick it up. His experience and insight into marriage is compelling. A good inspirational read.

This Is Not the Story You Think It Is by Laura Munson.
I read this article several weeks ago (via Designmom) and was intrigued by this woman's response to when her husband said he was leaving. Then, Designmom recommended her book on the topic and I ordered it within days. I loved this one so much I want to do a whole post on it, so stay tuned! In the meantime, you should read it yourself! The article will pretty much tell you the ending of the story, so don't read the article if you don't want to know the ending before reading the book. :)

The Book of Mormon.
I am currently reading in Alma and loving it. Last night I read the famous chapter 32 on faith. In verse 27, Alma describes the beginning of faith. By simply having a desire to believe, the word of God can be placed within our hearts and will bring light to our minds. I love that!

On my to-read list: 
West With the Night. (Simply because we already have it and Nate recommended it. Which is a big deal, he rarely finishes a book).
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay.
Possibly the Uglies series since it's been recommended to me so many times recently.

Any more I should add to my list? Now that I am done with school forever, I need good books to fill up my evenings when Nate is studying!

1 comments:

  1. I have the Uglies series (well, my parents do) if you want to borrow them. They're great!

    ReplyDelete

Lacey Parr All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger