Book Review: The Book Thief

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I should have written this before I immersed myself yet again into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (or rather, J. K. Rowling), but here are some organized chaotic thoughts on The Book Thief.

I absolutely loved it. It's going on my list of favorites, right up there next to The Poisonwood Bible. While it is about World War II, it has a much different tone than I expected. While the story is tragic and heartbreaking, bits of happiness pervade throughout. The story is narrated by someone who knows the sadness of war more than anyone, Death himself. The narration was strange and disjointed at the beginning, but as you continue to read, it becomes more readable. The characters are human, you feel like you might know someone like them. You will learn several new German words. Most are curse words unfortunately.

While of course it is fiction, it is happy to think that heroes--young and old--were on the other side of the Nazi Germany borders as well. It made me wish it wasn't fiction! But then again, maybe there are many real stories like this one.

I urge you to read it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lacey Parr All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger