Book Review: The Poisonwood Bible

Tuesday, November 29, 2011


Have you read The Poisonwood Bible? It's been on my book list for awhile and I finally snagged it at Savers (local thrift store) recently. I loved every page! I'm not gonna spend a lot of time talking about it because I just want you to go read it yourself! But I do think this should be a must-read for anyone who is seeking to make a difference in Africa or any third-world population (humanitarians, charities, missionaries etc). Just to give you an idea, this is story about a young family who travel to Congo in 1960 with their Baptist preacher father to bring the Gospel to a Congolese village. The story actually  follows the daughters throughout their lives.  I really enjoyed learning the background and history of Congo (now Zaire) while it was beginning their independence from Belgium. Please read it! You will love it.

For full disclosure, there is a a little language, but not much and little to no sexual references. Be aware that the author does have a bit of an agenda, but keep your head on straight and you'll enjoy it! I hope they make a movie soon! Tell me what you think of it after you read it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lacey Parr All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger