Escuela

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

This past semester has made me greatly consider my decision coming to BYU. Now that I am with Nate, I know I had a purpose in coming here. But sometimes I am just not a fan of BYU academics. In high school and even my first semester of college, I prided myself on doing very well in school. I was considered a smart kid. I rarely made less than an 80% on a test or assignment. And now BYU is pushing me down. I know it is an acclaimed university. I know it is supposed to be hard. I know we learn when we are challenged. That's why I came to this school instead of staying at Chipola. But there are so many professors here that do not care about their students. I have sat in an auditorium (HEPE 129, American Heritage, Stats 221, Physical Science) and never felt so insignificant. Not only will the professor never know who I am, but he will never know how much I am learning, where he needs to improve etc etc.

Since coming to BYU have become more and more custom to mediocre grades. Granted my effort is not mediocre. I have a good conscious about my grades as long as I have done my best. Any grade above an 85% is eligible for a cheer and reward of ice cream. So yesterday's success was even more than a normal success. In my International Development class, the TA who grades our papers used my last paper as an example of an excellent paper. She read it aloud to the class and she put it on the projector. I was red in the face, but very pleased. I honestly did not think it was excellent paper, but I was happy regardless. When one know it all student commenced to discredit my paper, everyone in the room was just annoyed with his interruption. A classmate in front of me offered to punch him for me (all in a joking manner of course). I declined the offer, but appreciated the support. I went up to the TA after class and thanked her for the compliment.

That single event almost makes up for this mediocre academic semester. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lacey Parr All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger